Thursday 11 July 2013

5 Good Reasons to go to University

Hello everybody! 

It is summer time, so I know that those of you finishing college in the UK may be heading off to start a new life at uni! I am so excited for you. Deciding to go to university was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has given me independence, I have met new people from loads of different walks of life, I can manage money better, I have gained new skills..the list is endless! For those of you who are still unsure, I have created a list of 5 reasons as to why you should go to university. 


  1. Independence

    I know that this is probably the most common, but it is so true. If you were anything like me, I was still living with my mum and sisters whilst studying at college. I was 17/18 at the time, so it wasn't as if I was restricted in what I wanted to do, but there is something so satisfying about making your own day to day choices. Don't get me wrong, when I first moved into halls for my first year of uni, I was absolutely terrified. I didn't know what to expect. Luckily, I had my twin sister in the same flat as me (there was 13 of us in total) so it wasn't too bad at all. It is so great to be able to choose what you want to have for dinner every night, and not having to report to your parents about what time you'll be home. Independence is definitely one of the great advantages when going to uni.
  2. New People

    Another common one, and again it is SO true. When you go to uni, you will probably be put in halls if you have moved to study. You will be put into a flat with people exactly in the same position as you. Chances are, you won't know a single one of them. But that is part of the fun! You'll  probably find that you'll make friends for life in that flat, I know I did. Not only will you meet a bunch of new cool people who you'll be living with for a year, but you'll find that you'll become great chums with your course mates too. There is just so many opportunities to make new friends.
  3. Nights out

    At the end of the day, you are at university to study for a degree. But what's uni life without great memories and cheap drinks? Being a student is great. Most of the time, the city you're in may have a large student population. This means that night clubs and bars will attract students with cheap drinks and the promise of a good night. In Hull, student night tends to be on a Thursday, where drinks can be as little as £1. Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting binge drinking, but if you're a party animal, then university nights out may be another good reason for you to apply.
  4. Discounts

    In addition to cheap drinks for students, you will find that being a student offers you plenty of discounts too. Most of the time, you will need to apply for a NUS card. I can't find how much an NUS card costs, but I think it was around £11 during my freshers week. These cards are specifically for students, and can save you a tonne of money. You can receive huge discounts at McDonald's, Spotify, rail cards, clothes shops such as La Senza, Matalan, Lipsy and Oasis, you can even save up to 50% off hotel rooms! Another place where you will find plenty of useful discounts will be at Freshers Fair, which is during your first week at uni. There will be loads of different stalls full of discounts from local shops to big companies. You can usually find a good student discount on software such as Microsoft Office too, which is always useful.
  5. Life Skills

    In addition to independence, you will also learn so many new life skills whilst at uni. Especially if it is your first time living at home. Before I moved, I wasn't particularly a great cook, I didn't know how to iron, I wasn't entirely sure how to use bleach and realizing that the laundry fairy isn't real was a huge shock! However after my first year, I'd just about mastered a decent spag bol, and I was getting on with life just fine. These skills may not sound very important, but trust me. You WILL need them. 
I can't express enough how good uni is in terms of developing as a person, and in your career. Hopefully these tips have helped you come to a decision! I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

Ciao for now .x.

2 comments:

  1. I'[m going away to uni in september, hopefully to leeds or newcastle and this has really made it clear to me how beneficial it can be for so many reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah wow that's great - well done! Glad it was useful :) x

    ReplyDelete

Followers